In accordance with Ohio Revised Code § 2111.52, the Delaware County Guardianship Services Board was created in 2022 to administer a guardianship program serving mentally incompetent wards of Delaware County through appointments by the Probate Judge.
The Delaware County Guardianship Services Board shall serve the community as follows:
- Treat all persons with dignity.
- Involve the individuals we serve to the greatest extent possible in all decision making.
- Select the option that places the least restrictions on freedoms and rights of the individuals we serve.
- Identify and advocate for goals, needs, and preferences of the individuals we serve.
- Maximize the self-reliance and independence of the individuals we serve.
- Keep confidential the affairs of the individuals we serve.
- Avoid conflicts of interest and self-dealing.
- Have the least amount of involvement, making the greatest impact, for the individuals we serve.
- Comply with all laws and Delaware County Probate Court orders.
Eligibility Criteria for Wards for the Delaware County Guardianship Services Board
Individuals must meet the following prerequisite criteria to qualify for an appointment of the Delaware County Guardianship Services Board as his/her public guardian. The prospective ward must be:
- Adult, age 18 and above.
- Resident of Delaware County.
- Indigent, as determined by the Delaware County Probate Court in accordance with Loc. F. 66.11A.
- All adults qualified for Medicaid are presumed to be indigent. (http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines)
- Any person who is so mentally impaired, as a result of a mental or physical illness or disability, as a result of intellectual disability, or as a result of chronic substance abuse, that the person is incapable of taking proper care of the person’s self or property.
- Indication of a presenting problem or situation that requires legal authority to act, such as health care, financial, or placement decisions.
- No other adult or entity appears available and/or appropriate to become guardian.
- All appointments assigned by the Delaware County Probate Court, as deemed appropriate by the Judge.
Looking for Guardianship Resources?
Staff and Board Members
Eric C. Penkal: Director [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
Beth Ramey: Social Worker [Email email@example.com]
Marla Hobson: Social Worker [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
Brandy McCoy: Service Coordinator [Email email@example.com]
Adam Moore: Board Member
Term Commenced: March 17, 2022
Term Ends: December 31, 2024
Appointed by the Delaware-Morrow Mental Health & Recovery Services Board
J. Michael Nicks: Board Member
Term Commenced: February 10, 2022
Term Ends: December 31, 2025
Appointed by the Delaware County Board of Developmental Disabilities
Adam R. Rinehart: Board Member
Term Commenced: February 8, 2022
Term Ends: December 31, 2026
Appointed by the Delaware County Probate Court
7991 Columbus Pike
Lewis Center, Ohio 43035
By appointment only